Sunday, May 22, 2011

Welcome To My World

Greetings, great and powerful denizens of the Interwebz! I'm Jamie, yet another hopeful style-blogger in a cast of thousands. My blog is pretty much exactly what it says on the tin: the life, stylings, and ramblings of me, your resident geeky goth girl. (Or would that be gothy geek girl?) Since this is a first post, I figure I should give you some of the basics about myself. I'm a 19-year-old college student, studying film and television at the University of Colorado Denver-I just finished my freshman year, and I loved it-and am already looking forward to next year. I've been a geek since I was a wee small child; where most people's first memories of TV are Barney and Sesame Street, mine are Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. If it's science fiction or fantasy, I've probably seen it or read it, and love it or hate it, I have an opinion about it. I love comics as well, and will happily enthuse about Batman or the Birds of Prey until your ears fall off. Some of my passions are less stereotypically geeky; I love to read romance novels, I have a perfect passion for history, and I'm a total Anglophile. I'll leave it at that to start, because otherwise this post will become excessively rambly (well, even more excessively rambly than it is now), and I want to move on to other things, like the Goth part of the Geeky Goth Girl equation.

The "goth" bit is, admittedly, a lot more recent development. I've always dressed in an offbeat and somewhat kooky manner; I was probably the only fourth-grader in history to come to school in a black velvet catsuit with a red scarf tied around my waist, and I doubt many other 12-year-olds would wear leopard print pajama pants, an old leopard print maternity top of their mom's, and a leopard print hair bow to school. (Note that I said offbeat and kooky, not tasteful and restrained!) In middle school, and my first two years of high school, I succumbed to that most unfortunate and insidious of teenaged diseases, peer pressure, and toned down my exuberant outfits to wearing a pretty blouse with a pair of (shudder) jeans, or a t-shirt with a plain-ish skirt. I never felt entirely comfortable in those outfits, but I kept doing it because not being mocked was important to me. Due to a number of circumstances, I ended up going to school online for my last two years of high school, and it was during this time that I began to really explore and develop my own sense of style. I found that I loved fishnet, lace, velvet, and other gorgeous and elegant fabrics; that black became increasingly a part of my wardrobe; and that corsets, lacings, skirts and Victorian or '50s-retro styled things made me very happy. Add in my love of Tim Burton movies and my fascination with the darker side of life, my adoration of ghosts and vampires in fiction, and a general sense of empathy with the misfits and oddballs of live, and Goth seemed quite the natural fit of a label for me. This year, I've fully gone into Goth mode in my outfits-black nail polish, stripy socks, and corsets all becoming everyday parts of my wardrobe. (Benefits of having a job: being able to buy more expensive pieces like corsets without feeling bad about putting the cost off on my parents!) I've gotten enough comments (mostly positive, thank God) and compliments on my outfits just from my (mostly normal) friends and classmates that I thought I might try my hand at style-blogging, and share my look with the blogosphere, as such talented and gorgeous, gorgeously dressed women as Amy of Ultimate Goth Guide, Trystan of CorpGoth, and VictorianKitty of Sophistique Noir have done before me.

So what are my goals with this blog? I hope to do an outfit post every day that I have an outfit worth posting (that's everyday for the next week and a half , as long as I'm in Denver, and probably 2-3 times a week in the summer, when I'm at home more often). I love to sew and DIY, but haven't been able to do as much this year because there wasn't any room in my dorm room for my machine; I hope to remedy that this summer, adding more pieces that I've made or modified to my wardrobe. Hence, I hope to do a DIY or sewing-related post about 2-3 times a week as well. I'd like to do at least one geeky piece-book, movie or television review, look at Goths in the media, or general discussion of geek culture-per week. I hope to make this an interesting and engaging blog, with a lot of variety and appeal to Goths, Geeks, and anyone else with a passing interest in either subculture. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment