Monday, September 10, 2012

Changing My Stripes

As Stripe-Tember progresses, I want to move on to some of the Goth-iest of all stripes: black and white. This is a simple, elegant, and striking combo, and hard to find, especially in vertical or wider combinations. I like the latter because they're so pretty and elegant; they're also a recurring motif in the films of one of my favorite directors, Tim Burton. His costume designer, Colleen Atwood, who has designed every single one of his films, is a master of utilizing them in a way that is truly elegant and memorable.
This iconic dress from Sleepy Hollow actually only appears very briefly at the end of the film, but it is so gorgeous and striking that you can buy replicas of it and anyone who has seen the movie tends to associate the dress (and pattern!) with it. My first day of b/w stripes is not so dramatic; think of it as a small transition from the subtle stripes to the bold.
Black and white striped blouse-Arc
Back net skirt-Salvation Army
Red tights-Target
Black Mary Janes-Wal-Mart
I love the b-w-r combo, and I bought this top in no small part because of how much I loved the contrast of the red trim and buttons against the black and white stripes. I felt very girly and swirly today, and I loved it! The skirt has little gems on the netting, and they catch the light just enough to add some great sparkle to what's otherwise a pretty simple little skirt. Altogether just fun!

3 comments:

  1. I love that dress and I really want it! Bet I can't afford a replica, though! I love the outfits in this and it's a bit steampunk too, which liked! I also loved Sweeney Todd.

    I like your outfit. Those are my favourite colours too, and I love the scarlet tights! I am trying to get more black and white striped clothes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute outfit! And dat skirt! Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's your height? You seem pretty tall...

    ReplyDelete